Monday, February 04, 2013

Valentine Heart Box / Crafty Secrets DT Challenge and Linky Party

I've been having fun with all the new Valentine downloads Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage has in the "Crafty Vintage Girl" Store.  The papers I used to alter this box and the "To my Valentine" from the Be My Valentine Digital Art Stamp  Set are all available there.   I started with a simple paper mache box from the craft store.

It seems my flowers are never just the right color for the project I need but thank goodness for Glimmer Mist because I just mix and spray until I get the color I need.  I did the checker board pattern on the top of the box simply by using a square punch and two of the different papers I printed off from the digital kit.  I'll show you further down in this post  the easiest way to do it to get the squares to line up nice an straight.
Oh.. and if you make a box of your own, you'll need something yummy to put in it.  How about Chocolate Chip Cookies?  I'll share this new recipe I just started using that is now my new favorite!





Best-Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
 
Ingredients:
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and light in color. Add egg and vanilla and blend in.

3. Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chunks.

4. Using a standard-sized cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop dough onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. (The tops will not brown, but do NOT cook longer than ten minutes.)

5. Let cool, on the sheet, on a wire rack for five minutes. Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely. Makes approximately 3 dozen. 


ENJOY

Okay now that your hungry... back to paper and glue. lol  Sometimes even the simplest things can be made even easier if you know some little tricks. So I thought I'd share with you the way I've found to be the quickest easiest way to  make the checker board pattern  like I created on the top of the box lid. Working on a square base is pretty basic but when you are putting the pattern on a different shape, can be a bit more of a challenge.  Start by printing out a couple of sheets of each of the two different papers you plan to use, and punch out a number of squares of each.

Starting in the middle and working out seems to work best.  Lay down a ruler as a guide for your first row and work from there, alternating colors.( you might want to even tape the ruler in place for your first row).  I rarely use a gluestick..but in this instance it will give the the chance to move your squares around a bit where you want them before they dry. This will be a big help.


Then just continue to build your rows, letting them run off the edge of the lid.  Then you can go back and trim around the edges of the lid, cutting away the excess paper.
Smooth the edges by sanding them in a downward motion with a sanding tool or emery board.

Pretty little box all finished :)  Of course if you didn't want to fill it with cookies or other sweets, you could always make a set of pretty cards  to put inside and give as a gift.   ( in case all the cookies are gone :)


Okay... pop on over to the Heartwarming Vintage Blog to check out the Linky Party.... and we'd love to have you join in!  All you have to do is create something with any Crafty Secrets product and link up on the Heartwarming Vintage Blog.

Now... see what these talented Crafty Secrets Design Team Members have posted for you on their blogs for the challenge.

Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great day!

Vic


 

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Can't decide which I like better, your pretty little heart box or the cookies!!

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Funny I was going to say exactly what Sarah said : ) I wonder what that says about all of us crafters who love vintage - LOL! Thanks for the step by step instructions. If you don't mind me asking - what weight paper did you use to print out your papers?
Have A Great Day!

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

Oh Vic ... this is FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing your tips on making the checkerboard pattern. ABSOLUTELY awesome! (Adding it to my todo list! LOL)

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

Oooops forgot to mention! YUMMO! Those cookies look SO GOOD! Yes now you've made me hungry and I don't have a cookie in the house! BUT ... hubby made an apple/carmel cake yesterday with coconut/pecan icing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Oooh...another wonderful recipe from you! Yay! This box is so stunning. I love the checkerboard topper. So many "sweet" details in this project. Thanks, Vic!

Linda Manning Findley said...

this is awesome ... thanks for sharing and the recipe also ....

harrahx2 said...

How gorgeous! And by the way, I got my nifty Candy in the mail....I am blown away with how beautiful. I have some ideas in mind and will send you pics when I finally get to do something with them! Hugs and Love!

Jean said...

Wow - this is just gorgeous! Love the effect!

Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage Co. said...

I love the contrast you added with the black and the checkerboard pattern you made with the squares looks awesome Vicki!

Melissa Bove (SCS ~ Melissa1872) said...

Wow! Vicki, this is stunning! Love how you created it! And those cookies look so yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

hugs...
Melissa

Sarah said...

This is really cute and I may have to use your cookie recipe, thanks for sharing.